Tips on how to keep water clean with a filtration system
Enjoy your hot tub water for several weeks
Most customers use the hot tub like a bathtub: fill it before each use and then empty it. Some decide to leave the water in the hot tub for several weeks, in which case it should be fitted with a filtration system.
How can water quality be maintained for that long? Antibacterial agents and a cover should be used in combination with the filter at temperatures above freezing. There are also a few steps that must be followed.
Once the filtration system has been installed in a frost-protected area, the hot tub can be filled with fresh water. It is important to choose the right water source at the start. Tap water is recommended as it offers the best conditions for antibacterial agents. Water hardness should also be assessed - and adjusted if necessary.
The filter will remove visible dirt particles from the water. The pump should run for two hours each morning and evening respectively. This can be automated with a plug timer.
In addition to visible dirt, bacteria and algae can also form in the warm bathing water, which is why an antibacterial agent must be added. Chlorine is most recommended, as other antibacterial agents may not have been adequately tested and could damage the hot tub or shorten the lifespan certain components. Consider the following points:
- Chlorine granules are the preferred form. It is important to read the dosage instructions carefully to avoid excessive concentrations.
- The granules should be pre-mixed with water outdoors using a 10-litre bucket.
- The cover should not be placed on the hot tub until three hours after the chlorine has been added, as chlorine gases may damage certain components.
- Free chlorine, pH and alkalinity values must be measured at least every two days. This can be done with test strips or special measuring devices.
- The values should stay between the following ranges.
- PH: 7,2-7,6
- Free chlorine: 3-5 ppm
- Water hardness: 150-400 ppm
- Alkalinity: 80- 120ppm
- If necessary, use special products to adjust the values.
While this procedure can ensure that the bathing water can be used for several weeks at temperatures above freezing, additional steps must be taken in wintertime when temperatures fall below zero. In this case, the frost protector is required and the filtration system needs to run 24/7. ∎